b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YaLaD - he begot, has begotton

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YaLaD - he begot, has begotton
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 23:52:05 +0500

On 07/10/2006 22:12, K Randolph wrote:
I just checked my copy of Lisowski's concordance (which lists common
verbs according to Qal, Niphal, etc.), and already in Genesis 4, even
in the context of bringing forth children, the fathers were listed as
bringing forth sons. Again in chapter 6. In a quick spot check of a
few of over 200 occurrences in Qal brought out a few examples of use
other than giving birth, e.g. "what the day will bring forth" in
Proverbs.

Thank you, Karl. It seems that I was wrong on this one, misled by what looks like a bug in my Bible search program. I'll try to track down why there is some confusion here, when I can get near some books.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org