b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 20:11:03 -0400

At 07:05 PM 9/28/2006, you wrote:
Dear Moshe,
> Harold, words mean something. KRU cannot be distorted to mean
> pierced, when it means to dig (a hole). A truck is not a wheelbarrow
> even though both have four wheels.
HH: But your claim that the word can only mean the
English "dig" seems overthrown by the LXX. The
words "They dug my hands and feet" are not
meaningful, so the LXX obviously means something
else. So the word ORUSSW, which means "dig," also
means something else. Evidently the Hebrew word
does too because the same problem arises in the
Hebrew variants.

1. As to the LXX/GB I understand what you say, the verse has it's difficulties. I am curious as to what other meaning you say that ORUSSW can mean? I will check it out with someone who is an expert in the area.
2. As to the variants there are two issues. First variants in many cases just represent errors in copying. All of us who have been teachers of Hebrew are quite aware of the 'variants' that can occur. Second, which of these variants are you claiming gets you closer to 'pierced'. There are none that I know of which help in this area. (KARY, KARU, KRU, KRY)

Moshe Shulman outreach AT judaismsanswer.com 718-436-7705
Judaism's Answer: http://www.judaismsanswer.com/