b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "schmuel" <schmuel AT nyc.rr.com>, "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 19:30:53 +0300

dkr in Zech12:10 undoubtedly refers to thrusting with sword. Always took
that for granted. The nations that cut him [Israel] (came against Jerusalem)
will repent.

I'm less familiar with the Christian issues, but I frankly don't see how you
could read ca-ari in Ps22:17 as "pierced."
As a lion [they have encompassed (transposition from the earlier phrase)] my
hands and feet.

Vadim Cherny

> [...]
> But his armourbearer would not; for he was sore afraid.
> So Saul took a sword, and fell upon it.
>
> Isaiah 13:15
> Every one that is found shall be thrust through;
> and every one that is joined unto them shall fall by the sword
>
> Zechariah 13:3
> And it shall come to pass, that when any shall yet prophesy,
> then his father and his mother that begat him shall say unto him,
> Thou shalt not live; for thou speakest lies in the name of the LORD:
> and his father and his mother that begat him shall thrust
> him through when he prophesieth.
>
> Jeremiah 51:4
> Thus the slain shall fall in the land of the Chaldeans,
> and they that are thrust through in her streets.
>
> Now these two have a bit of nuance:
>
> Lamentations 4:9
> They that be slain with the sword are better than they
> that be slain with hunger: for these pine away,
> stricken through for want of the fruits of the field.
>
> Jeremiah 37:10
> For though ye had smitten the whole army of the Chaldeans
> that fight against you,
> and there remained but wounded men among them,
> yet should they rise up every man in his tent,
> and burn this city with fire.

> This understanding is shown in Zechariah 12:10 in the -
>
> Judaica Press Tanach
>
> Zechariah 12:10
> And I will pour out upon the house of David
> and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem
> a spirit of grace and supplications.
> And they shall look to me
> because of those who have been thrust through [with swords],
> and they shall mourn over it
> as one mourns over an only son
> and shall be in bitterness, therefore,
> as one is embittered over a firstborn son.
>
> (the subject/object pronoun discussion is a separate issue :) )
> Similarly
>
> JPS-1917
>
> And I will pour upon the house of David,
> and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem,
> the spirit of grace and of supplication;
> and they shall look unto Me
> because they have thrust him through;
> and they shall mourn for him,
> as one mourneth for his only son,
> and shall be in bitterness for him,
> as one that is in bitterness for his first-born.
>
> Soncino
>
> And I will pour upon the house of David,
> And upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem,
> The spirit of grace and of supplication;
> And they shall unto Me
> because they have thrust him through;
>
> So if this is the case, that daqar is a word used for a type of sword or
spear
> thrusting-through (implications of mortal or ultra-serious wound through
the belly)
> it would appear to be a very poor fit for any verbal reading of Psalm 22.
>
> Your thoughts ?
>
> (Yes, I realize that there are other words also given for pierced
alternatives,
> however daqar is in a sense the primary discussion and significant).

Psalm 22 from -