b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 10:36:22 +0100

On 30/09/2006 08:49, Vadim Cherny wrote:
To ask, as Peter does, for the proof that the word cannot mean "pierced," is
illogical. Negative proof could never be formally asserted. ...

True, and in fact that was my point, it cannot be proved. But it was not illogical to ask. Moshe had made an unqualified statement "none of the variants can correctly translated as 'pierced.'" and I was asking him for proof of his statement - while being well aware that none could be forthcoming. I don't think that people should make unqualified statements of this kind unless they are prepared to back them up with proof, or at least rather good evidence. This is all the more true when such proof is in principle impossible.

... We can only say
that nowhere else the word means "pierced."

True. But that by no means implies that the word doesn't mean "pierced" here. There are many cases in the Hebrew Bible of words being used in unique senses.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org