b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yonah Mishael" <yonahmishael AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 08:08:19 -0500

Another problem is that there are several translations that have come
to be called "Septuagint." We do not know which translation was the
actual LXX of legend. One thing that I find interesting is that in the
27th Edition of the Nestle-Aland /Novum Testamentum Graece/, alongside
each Scripture citation, they insert a symbol to represent when the
author is quoting from the Septuagint. This is found, for example, in
Hebrews 1:5 with hUIOS MOU EI SU EGW SHMERON GEGENNHKA SE ("You are my
son, today I have begotten you."). The symbol looks somewhat like
this:

http://www.jhronline.com/work/images/lxx.jpg

This is exactly the wording as it is found in the LXX published by Sir
Lancelot C.L. Brenton in Psalm 2:7.

The same is true of Hebrews 1:6, which quotes KAI PROSKUNHSATWSAN
AUTWi PANTES AGGELOI QEOU directly from the LXX of Deuteronomy 32:43.

There are quotations throughout the Greek Testament taken directly
from the Septuagint. Is the contention that the LXX was modified to
fit the GT citations by Christians at a later period? Or is the
contention that the GT writings were later than the LXX, which some
have dated in this thread to around 200 of the Common Era?

I would agree that the LXX had a great influence in the early
Christian establishment, and I would probably go with Liz in supposing
that if the LXX had not misrepresented some verses of the Jewish Bible
(most notably, of course, the PARQENOS statement in Isaiah 7:14
[though this may be a valid translation, depending on how one views
the semantic range of this noun in the Koine]). It is striking to me,
however, that Paul -- though he quotes so heavily from the Bible --
makes very little use of the LXX in his citations, if any use at all.
He always presents his own translation of the verses that he quotes,
insofar that he does NOT quote from the Septuagint. I find that very
interesting.

Yonah

--
Yonah Mishael ben Avraham