b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 05:31:00 -0000

This is all assuming a lot. Many scholars assume that the "Hebrew" of Matthew was really Aramaic, and there is really no proof at all that the rest of the gospels or Acts were written by native speakers of Hebrew. Remember, that many western Diaspora Jews, in places like Alexandria and all of Paul's synagogues/churches (Rome, Galatia, certainly places like Corinth) were really native speakers of Greek, who may have known some Hebrew. Of course, there were also many learned people who knew Hebrew, but the whole point of translating the Bible into Greek, back in the 3rd or 2nd centuries BCE, was to provide a text for Greek-speaking Jews.

But beyond all this - the question is not what the Apostles spoke. The question is what the intended audience of the NT read and spoke. This was Greek. So the authors of the NT, and in fact even before them, the first Jesus-followers who used the OT to try to convince Greek-spaking Jews and gentiles of Jesus' messianity, quite naturally would use the availible Greek translation. This was the LXX (or something very close to what we today call the LXX). Josephus, who certainly knew Hebrew, did the same: his quotes of the Bible are very close to what we today call the LXX. There was probably not a single "authorised" version of the "Christian"-Greek text until the Church was reorganized in the 4th century CE.

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>