b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Discernment of Daniel 9:24

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "John B. Senterfitt" <millenia05 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Discernment of Daniel 9:24
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 13:35:30 -0500

> From: John B. Senterfitt Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2006 3:18 PM
>
> The Hebrew word in Daniel 9:24 translated "are determined" has only one
> striking Greek equivalent in the NT Greek and that is found in Revelation
> 20:12 and 13.

[Steve Miller] John, What is your basis for saying this? The word that the
LXX used to translate "are determined" is only used in the NT in Rom. 9:28,
where it is used figuratively to mean "cut short".

ἐκρίθησαν κρίνω viap3p

Steve I do hope this Greek rendering comes through in your Email system; and
if so you will notice that it is Verb, Indicative, Aorist, Passive, 3rd
person, Plural. In this grammatical form the only three places it occurs are
as follows:

KJV Daniel 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy
holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to
make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness,
and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

KJV Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God;
and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of
life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the
books, according to their works.

KJV Revelation 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death
and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every
man according to their works.

Of course the Septuagint is the connecting link and the Hebrew word
translated "determined" comes through in the Revelators writing as
"were-judged".

I know the Hebrew word translated as "determined"

נֶחְתַּךְ

in its basic means to divide. Pictures of this kind of dividing is seen in
the Hebrew people being carried away into other Nations in captivity. This is
a picture of dividing or judgment. And in sum-total that is what the seventy
weeks (490 years) are set aside for and that essentially is the last half of
the 1000 years laid out in Revelation chapter 20.

John B. Senterfitt