b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The name

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Blankinship, Benjamin" <bla26 AT co.henrico.va.us>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The name
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:19:46 +0100

On 12/09/2006 18:25, Blankinship, Benjamin wrote:
So, Saul was telling the story in Hebrew, but Luke wrote it in Greek. Do
you assume that Luke translated "Yeshua" to "Jesus" in the act of
writing the story out?

Yes, certainly. Just as we automatically convert many foreign names into English versions when we write them in English. We don't do that so much with personal names these days (although we do with place names), but consider e.g. Pope John Paul II - "John" is not the Latin, Italian or Polish but the English form.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org