b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] origin of evil

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] origin of evil
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 21:43:26 -0400

Dear Benjamin,
The point is that whether or not you say that darkness is uncreated, Isaiah
quotes YHWH as saying that he, YHWH, creates darkness. ???? ????
It is Isaiah you're arguing with here, or perhaps God even.
This is what I mean by denying the plain meaning of the biblical text to get
it to conform to some preconceived notion of what God is like, or what the
world is like. An all good god can't make darkness or evil, no matter what
the biblical text says, so let's just make it say something different from
what it actually says.
I actually think that Isaiah here is expounding upon, or even disagreeing
with Gen. 1. Gen. 1 says that God's first creative act is to create light,
the darkness is already there, uncreated, like the ocean and the earth even,
all uncreated. Only light is created. But Isaiah says, no. Isaiah quotes God
as saying that the darkness too is created by God. So they disagree. I quote
the Talmudist, whoever it was who said
"These and these are the words of the living God," even tho they disagree.
Liz Fried