b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] PS Re: Daniel 11:22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] PS Re: Daniel 11:22
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 22:02:28 +0100

On 30/08/2006 21:48, Harold Holmyard wrote:
Yonah Mishael wrote:

Anyway, I think we will have to agree to disagree on this point. Anytime someone says "Christ," they do so to the exclusion of the Jewishview of Messiah. The two have very different connotations in modernEnglish, despite what they meant to native Greek speakers 2000 yearsago. Modern connotation is really what we are accustomed to dealingwith, and it is from here that we draw meaning.

HH: It's not a matter of disagreeing. You flatly don't believe me. I'm giving you facts. If you want to ignore and contradict them, that's fine. I'm even giving you the modern connotation. You may know some people who don't think that way, but our understanding is to be derived entirely from God's word, not human opinion. There are millions of people who think the way I do. I can't give you a number of how many millions. Dispensaltionalism is considered to be the majority viewpoint in America about prophetic realities, and that viewpoint sees things just the way I described.

Harold, I think you are overreacting here. Yes, one prominent trend of Christian thought holds that Jesus Christ will literally rule the world from Jerusalem, and this is in partial agreement with Jewish thought. But the Christian doctrine of Christ undoubtedly includes many central and vital concepts, such as his atoning death and resurrection, which are almost entirely foreign to Jewish thought about the Messiah and Jewish interpretation of the Hebrew Bible. On the other hand, Jewish ideas of the Messiah have a nationalistic basis, which is largely foreign to Christianity in which Christ's ministry is to Gentiles as much as to Jews. So there are some very major differences between the two doctrines. And in the light of 2000 years of disagreement it is unlikely that they will be resolved on this list, and before the moderators rightly complain that we are going off topic. So perhaps we should restrict our discussions to what words like Mashiach and concepts like anointing mean in the Hebrew Bible as originally intended by its authors, and keep well away from discussing Christian and Rabbinic interpretations.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org