b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] PS Re: Daniel 11:22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yonah Mishael" <yonahmishael AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] PS Re: Daniel 11:22
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:09:25 -0500

HH: The idea of national redemption for Israel is not lost in the term
Christ. Nor is the idea of Davidic kingship.

YM: More specifically, the Davidic kingship about which I am
commenting refers to the national king who reigns from Jerusalem.

Christ connotes a world savior rather than the Messiah who gathers
Israel in from exile.

HH: Christ is the English translation of the Greek word CRISTOS, which
was the translation for the Hebrew word MESHIACH. You are arguing about
what you think each word connotes, but the translations are obvious. The
content of the English word Christ comes from the revelation in the
Bible given about this figure. Any other connotations the word may have
are irrelevant to a Bible-believing person.

YM: Christ is an English *transliteration* (not translation). The
English translation of both משיח and χριστος is "anointed."

I am saying that the ideas associated with the two terms are
different, and this would be apparent to anyone with no theological
axe to grind.

--
Yonah Mishael ben Avraham
Joplin, MO