b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Lev 5:23 (Lev 6:4)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Lev 5:23 (Lev 6:4)
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 21:33:53 -0700

Kelton:

This sounds like a rabbinic addition to the meaning. Of course a
heartfelt admission of guilt will lead to feelings of guilt, and
restitution, but I don't see the necessity of feelings in the meaning
of the word itself.

I can see this as a counter to people who may put on a real show
during Yom Kippur as to how they are so spiritual, while oppressing
their fellow men. But again, we are making a theological addition not
necessarily in the word itself.

Karl W. Randolph.