b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Lev 5:23 (Lev 6:4)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Lev 5:23 (Lev 6:4)
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:10:24 +0000

A textbook of mine agrees with Milgrom. It's called "Readings in Biblical
Hebrew an Intermediate Textbook" by Ehud Ben Zvi, Maxine Hancock, & Richard
Beinert says regarding this passage:

"The issue, therefore, is not if they come to know that they were doing
wrong, but rather if they feel remorse for doing wrong. (Milgrom, Leviticus
1-16, 334, 38,39-45).

The condition of feeling remorse for one's guilt is the regular conclusion of
the protasis in Lev 4:13,22,27; 5:2,3,4,5,17,23. These priestly text claim
that there is no possible ritual expiation for a sinner unless he or she
feels remorse. In otherwords, sacrifices are not seen as a mechanical gate
to purification, on the contrary, the right attitude of the
heart-repentance-is essential for the efficacy of the ritual.

Moreover, the sacrifice is only the last of a series of actions a person
should take upon feeling guilty. One assumption on which a text such as Lev
5:20-26 rests is that a person cannot expect expiation and forgiveness while
retaining the fruits of misbehavior. Thus, the first action to be taken are
those concerned with restitution and the rectification of the wrong. The
description of these actions opens the apodosis of our text immediately
following ve`ashem.

Not sure if I buy it but it does have merit.

--
Kelton Graham
KGRAHAM0938 AT comcast.net

From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>