b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Oneness VS Trinity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Wayne Ingalls <zechariah14 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Oneness VS Trinity
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:45:43 -0700 (PDT)

Whatever one's theology, one must acknowledge this particular Scriptural use
of the word echad.

Shemot/Exodus 26:6 (JPS99) And make fifty gold clasps, and couple the
cloths to one another with the clasps, so that the tabernacle becomes one
whole (echad).

Shemot/Exodus 36:13 (JPS99) And they made fifty gold clasps and coupled the
units to one another with the clasps, so that the tabernacle became one whole
(echad).

Wayne

K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com> wrote: James:

While I am loathe to get into a theological argument, the strict
linguistic meaning of "one" in Hebrew is an argument neither for nor
against the trinitarian understanding of God. I agree with you that
the argument that 'echad' refers to a compound one is not supportable,
but the concept that God is a compound one is not based on this word,
rather on many other verses in both Tanakh and New Testament.

Karl W. Randolph.