b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Lev 5:23 (Lev 6:4)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Rea <bsr15 AT cantsl.it.canterbury.ac.nz>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Lev 5:23 (Lev 6:4)
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:29:24 +1200 (NZST)

Hello B-Hebrewers,

I was reading Milgrom's Anchor Commentary on Leviticus and
he makes an usual translation of we`ashem in Lev 5:23 which is
Lev 6:4 in most English translation. The common understanding
is like the KJV:-

Then it shall be, because he hath sinned, and is guilty, ...

Milgrom translates this as feeling guilty and makes extensive
comments on this on page 372 where he draws on Jewish commentators,
exegetes, and rabbis going back to Philo. It appears that
his translation is well supported by Jewish tradition but it
is not the one used in most commonly used. I checked KJV, NASB,
and NRSV and they use something similar.

Would anyone care to comment on the validity of ``feeling
guilty'' as a legimate understanding of the use of this word
in this context.

Thanks.

Bill Rea, University of Canterbury Supercomputer \_
E-Mail bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz </ New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /) Zealand
UCSC Supercomputer Systems Administrator (/'