b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] I need your help

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] I need your help
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:49:25 -0500

Dear Kasia,

I need your help. Is there anyone there who can translate this for me? A girl I know has been speaking in Hebrew and she doesn't even know Hebrew and she's been trying to kill herself. She said something in her head said to type this exactly -

yetzer hara Lauren shabuim
soren holst sh at teol ku dk
barach atah adonai elohcina melech el shaddai

Can you please help. She is writing on her mirrors in lipstick things in Hebrew and on the floor and dresser. We do not know what is going on! All I could do was type the words in as search queries to try and find out what they mean. Her name is Lauren. Please help us.

Thank you so much. No, this is not a joke at all. We are desperate to help this girl. I was pretty shocked that the second line led me to this email address!

HH: Yetzer hara means "the evil impulse." The word shabuim could be a plural for shabua' meaning "weeks" or possibly "sevens." The last line means "Blessed are you, Lord our God, king, God Almighty." Soren Holst is the name of a poster who knows Hebrew, I believe. He is an author of a book:

Holst, Soren. Verbs and War Scroll: Studies in the Hebrew Verbal System and
the Qumran War Scroll. Kobenhavn: Det Teologiske Fakultet, Kobenhavns
Universitet, 2004.

The rest of the words are Soren's email address:

Søren Holst sh AT teol.ku.dk

I found that searching under Soren Holst's name:

[ANE] Fred Cryer
Søren Holst sh AT teol.ku.dk Sun, 3 Mar 2002 16:37:19 +0100 ... me morally responsible for everything else published in it). cordially Soren Holst Copenhage

The email address is: sh AT teol.ku.dk

The sh stands for Soren Holst evidently.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

Sincerely,
Kasia Coe