b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew "If-and" construction and the Book of Mormon

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Graham" <kevlds AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew "If-and" construction and the Book of Mormon
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:32:38 +0000

Maybe it is better if you guys read what he said. It is posted online here: http://farms.byu.edu/display.php?table=jbms&id=167

Scroll down to the section “Non-English Hebraisms in the Original Text.”

Kevin Riley,

== Maybe it would pay to ask an English dialectologist whether this construction was found in spoken English around 1830.

Good idea. Thus far, however, there hasn’t been any evidence that this existed anywhere in the English language at any time. The KJV certainly doesn’t retain these Hebraisms, and Smith was frequently accused of copying from the KJV. So we know he couldn’t have derived this from the KJV, and he certainly didn’t know Hebrew.

== Apart from that, it may just be another 'biblicism' designed to give the BoM an ancient/holy feel.

Possibly, but Smith would first have to know that an 1f-and construction would create that “feel.”

== Proving that the hypothetical writer of an unexaminable text did or did not speak ancient Hebrew is a bit beyond the
capabilities of this list.

You’re right. I was just giving an overview here. What I would like from you guys is an outside perspective on the claims ofteh Hebrew. Is this the norm in Hebrew? Is it common in the Hebrew Bible?

== If the translators of the KJV knew enough to translate as "if .. then", then I would have thought that inspired translation would have been a little more accurate and a little less literal but I don't claim to be an expert on inspiration.

Good point. However the same person who wrote that article has also argued that a literal word for word translation is what the translation process (according to eye-witnesses) seems to indicate.