b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew "If-and" construction and the Book of Mormon

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Joel Stucki" <joel AT stucki.ws>
  • To: "Harold Holmyard" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew "If-and" construction and the Book of Mormon
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:47:10 -0700

On 8/24/06, Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com> wrote:
Dear Joel,

> Astute observation Harold. I believe it was Mark Twain who commented
> that if "And it came to pass" were removed from the Book of Mormon it
> would be reduced to the Pamphlet of Mormon.

HH: Interesting.

> But I believe the argument of Skousen is that Smith as an illiterate
> farm boy could not have known these things.

HH: But Smith lived in the northeast, where there were a lot of educated
people. He lived in Vermont, New York, and Pennsylvania. He lived near
the town of Palmyra, New York.

> Regardless of this
> specific argument that does remain true. Smith produced a 500+ page
> book covering many important theological issues and quite a complex
> narrative when he was in his early 20's in just over 60 days of
> dictation.

HH: No, it was two-and-a-half years of dictation. The following is worth
reading:

http://lds-mormon.com/jsmith.shtml

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

This is a charged subject and clearly off topic for the list. There
are far more scholarly sources I could provide you to give a more
objective view. If you are interested I will be happy to refer you to
them off list.