b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Leviathan

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Rochelle Altman" <willaa AT netvision.net.il>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Leviathan
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 00:09:53 -0700

Dear List,

TWOT, Volume 1, pp 471-472, lwh, article by J. Barton Payne.

"III. Assumed root of the following. (liwya), (loya) wreath. Occurs in the
phrase 'liwyat hen referring to the instruction of parents (Prov 1:9), and to
the work of Wisdom (Prov 4:9).

(liwyatan) large aquatic animals, may be crocodile (Job 41;1 ASV marg.),
serpent
(Isa 27:1), or whale (Ps 104:26, usually rendered "Leviathan' (consistently in
KJV, ASV, and RSV). (MY NOTE: Leviathan is a transliteration of the Hebrew
word
(whether or not it is Hebrew see below).

liwyatan appears six times in the OT, as literal animal, a figure for Egypt
(Ps
74:14), and a figure for sinful mankind in general (Isa 27:1).

Derived from a root attested in Arabic, lwy 'to twist' (liwya "wreath," Prov
1:9), liwyatan is reflected in Ugaritic "ltn," a monster called Lotan.
Biblically, however it appears only with other beasts: nahash "snake" (Isa
27;1), or tannin: large reptile (Ps 74:13-14).

Yahweh overawed Job by confronting him with his invincible create liwyatan
(Job
41 [H 40:25ff.]). Clearly the Nile crocodile, with scaly hide (vv. 7, 15-17 [H
40:31; 41:7-9]), terrible teeth (v. 14 [H 6]), and swift swimming (v. 32 [H
24]), it is described poetically, i.e. "his sneezes flash forth light...out of
his nostrils smoke goes forth" (vv. 18-21 [H10-13]), but not mythological.
Other
hyperbolical comparison follow: ... "see rest of paragraph.

Elsewhere liwyatan swims in God's "sea, great and wide," a creature "whom Thou
hast formed to play therein" (Ps 104:25-26), presumably a Mediterranean whale
or
dolphin (NBD, p. 729). Yet unlike the hostile beasts in the somewhat parallel
"Hymn to the Sun," composed by the reform pharaoh Akenaten, Leviathan, et al.
wait humbly upon God (v. 27) as mankind's "fellow pensioners" (C.S. Lewis,
Reflections of the Psalms). The noun liwyatan may also designate serpents,
such
as might be roused by snake-charming magicians,m who werealso reputed to
impose
curses (Job 3:8); cf. Num 22:5-6). "Leviathan" thus comes to denote a swift
sea
serpent, slain of God, to symbolize his eschatological "punishing of the
inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity" (Isa 26:21-27:1).

Many scholars identify the OT leviathan with such mythological monsters of
chaos
as Lotan of Ugarit or Tiamat and Kingu of Babylon. It s crushed heads in Psa
74:13 (assumed to be seven) are equated with those of seven-headed dragons
(illustrated in IDB, III, P. 116) slain by Baal (Scripture substituting the
name
of Yahweh), and its aroused coils in Job 3:8 with those which were supposed ot
cause eclipses when wrapped about the sum.

Negative criticism holds that the writers of the Old Testament had a real
faith
in these creatures. But that the OT authors actually believed in such
mythology
should be roundly denied. However, some have held that the references to the
Leviathan as many-headed in Ps 74:14 and to its serpent character in Job 3:8
may
be allusions to the current mythological themes (cf. Smick, bibliog.).
Albright
calss this a proper demythologizing by the biblical authors (YGC, pp. 183-93).
A brief bibliography is added.

First, it should be noticed that the word is transliterated. Second, since it
is
found in Job, Pss., and Isa., which are poetic structures. The LXX translates
"liwyatan nahash" with "TON DRAKONTA" two times, while TON DRAKONTA translate
"et-hatannin). Leviathan = snake = dragon.

Job 3:8 (LXX) has KNTOS for liwyatan. Job 41:1 (H 40:25) DRAKONTA for
liwyatan.
In fact, we all have to account for the entirety of chapter 41 with its
description of Leviathan. Your guess will probably be as good as mind to
capture
all the imagery used.

Psalm 74: 14 has TOU DRAKONTOS for liwyatan and Psalm 104:26 has DRAKWN for
liwyatan.

En Xristwi,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III