b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Leviathan

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Revdpickrel AT wmconnect.com
  • To: george.athas AT moore.edu.au, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Leviathan
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:42:23 EDT

In a message dated 7/16/2006 8:14:14 PM Central Daylight Time,
george.athas AT moore.edu.au writes:

> Doug wrote:
>
> > God finishes His dissertation to
> > Job that Leviathan is indeed Satan,
> >"king over of all the sons of pride."
> > I don't feel this makes Leviathan a
> > mythical god or a dragon.
>
> Doug, I think there are two very distinct ways of reading here. My view
> would say that this literature (and indeed so much other biblical
> literature) employs metaphor, simile, and an entire armoury of images
> (there's one right now) to convey its message in poetic contexts. That is,
> poetry uses poetic conventions. Thus, "king over all the sons of pride" I
> take as a statement that this Leviathan creature (whether real or mythical
> doesn't matter) is so frightening that it can humble even the stoutest and
> most magnificent of people. That is, "king" is a metaphor to say that the
> Leviathan can make cowering messes of everyone. Your reading seems to be
> that such metaphor, simile and imagery does not occur, and that the text is
> more black and white. Thus, for you "king" means literally "king", such that
> Leviathan can be thought of as an actual ruler of some kind.
>
> I hope I'm not misrepresenting or caricaturing your reading perspective.
> Forgive me if I am.
>

> Best Regards,
>
> GEORGE ATHAS
> Moore Theological College
> 1 King St, Newtown 2042, Australia
> Ph: (+61 2) 9577 9774

Howdy George,

I agree 100 percent that Leviathan illustration is a metaphor, no question
about that. He certainly is not a great sea monster. Leviathan means "one
who
dwell among the sea of humanity," not the seas where monsters live. Where it
ceases to be a metaphor is when God says to Job that Leviathan is "...He is
king over all the sons of pride" Job 41:34. Wasn't pride the cause of
Satan's
fall? He looked on high and desired to lift himself above the stars of God.
Scripture calls Satan the god of this earth, the prince of the air, the
prince
of Persia, the anointed cherub. Scriptures identify this same individual to
be Abaddon in Hebrew or Apollon in Greek, both as king over the Abyss.
George,
I am not taking offense. I enjoy a good debate, and if you can prove me
otherwise, I'll listen.

Doug.
Rev. Doug Pickrel, Litt.D.
Tejas Valley