b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Leviathan

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Leviathan
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:33:45 +0300

On 7/17/06, Rochelle Altman wrote:

Thank you, Yitzhak,

You have saved me the nuisance of digging out notebooks from
the late 1950's-early 1960's and demonstrated that the word is
a loan word,

I did not make the case that it was a loan word. I pointed out
that if it was a loan word, it was at a much earlier stage of the
language. From this point of view, it is just as much a
Hebrew word as $or or yayin. None of this has anything to do
with whether or not the Leviathan is a squid. I don't think the
Leviathan is a squid, and I don't think you answered the
questions, but we'll just have to disagree on this point.

You wrote me something in the mail that you sent as a "draft"
and which you later resent to the list without that comment. I
am not sure if that is because you chose to retract that
comment. Let me point out then, that except for this particular
thread, I have not referred to you, directly or indirectly, second
or third person, in the past three months. In fact, probably ever,
but I can't be sure about that.

Yitzhak Sapir
http://toldot.blogspot.com