b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] bara vs' bero in Genesis 1:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] bara vs' bero in Genesis 1:1
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 19:00:20 +0300

On 7/9/06, James Christian Read wrote:

Yitzhak:
The thing that you seem to be overlooking is that your
translation adds a "the" that is not present in the Hebrew
text. This would be equivalent to you writing in English,
"The earth was formless and void and darkness was over
the surface of Deep." Or "Abyss," or "Ocean." It is used
as a proper name. The use of this specific word, as a
proper name like this, at this place of the Creation story,
just appears to be too coincidental.
END QUOTE

JCR: The reason we have to add the word 'the' in English
translation is really quite simple. The fact is, we
don't have a concept of 'Ocean', 'Sea', 'Abyss' or
'Deep' which can be used as a proper name as these
are generic concepts and there can be many of each
one.

I think I confused you a bit. Hebrew doesn't have generic
names like that either. Why do you think Hebrew does?
If it was my paragraph above that led you to think so, that
was not the intent. It was more to suggest to you how it
works out. Compare for example the god Uranus, a god
of the sky, which means in Greek, literally, "Heavens."
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=uranus

If you're not confused, and this is simply your position,
then could you provide evidence for the existence of such
generic concepts that figure as proper names, but which
cannot be tied to a foreign deity?

Yitzhak Sapir
http://toldot.blogspot.com