b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] bara vs' bero in Genesis 1:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: JAMES CHRISTIAN READ <JCR128 AT student.apu.ac.uk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] bara vs' bero in Genesis 1:1
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 22:43:00 +0100

On 08/07/2006 20:48, JAMES CHRISTIAN READ wrote:
Yitzhak wrote:
*tiha:m; "sea"; Akk. tamtum, tia:mat, Arab taham "land sloping down by the
sea", tiha:mat "(geographical name for a coastal plain)"; Heb thom; Sy
thoma (loanword); Ug taha:matu
END QUOTE

JCR: Thanks for showing how they could be cognates. My difficulty lied in accounting for the 'h' of tehom and you seem to have adequately done so and shown similar patterns which I have omitted in my reply for brevities sake. I can now see what you were saying.

It seems that the Akkadians, like the French and the Cockneys, dropped their h's, or at least didn't write them. I think this is a general rule for Akkadian. Actually the same is true of Greek, if you look at Greek transliterations of Hebrew names, e.g. ABRAAM for Hebrew 'ABRAHAM.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org