b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Sin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Joel Stucki" <joel AT stucki.ws>
  • To: "Oun Kwon" <kwonbbl AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Sin
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 15:10:01 -0700

On 7/8/06, Oun Kwon <kwonbbl AT gmail.com> wrote:
I am reading a book by David Noel Freedman 'The Nine Commandments'. He
mentioned about idols. 'In Mesopotamia the bull-god Sin was warshiped ...'
I have read in 'The Miracles of Exodus' by C.J. Humphreys, it says Sin was
moon-god.

Are they referring to the same god?

Oun Kwon.

From the title of the book it sounds like it is implying that Sin was
an Egyptian moon god. I am unaware of this being the case. Sin was a
Mesopotamian diety. Egyptian moon god was primarily Thoth but there
were others like Khonsu and Yah (or Lah).

Also gods where rarely limited to one symbol and for that matter
important symbols were rarely limited to one god.

Joel Stucki

  • [b-hebrew] Sin, Oun Kwon, 07/08/2006
    • Re: [b-hebrew] Sin, Joel Stucki, 07/08/2006