b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] oral law

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] oral law
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 22:40:34 +0100

On 23/06/2006 22:00, Shoshanna Walker wrote:
But when G-d gives a commandment in the written text and then writes that it should be performed "as I commanded", and the details are not written in the written Torah, don't you agree that G-d had to have commanded it somewhere else (as He says), besides in the written text?

Does "as I commanded" actually mean "in the detailed way which I have commanded", and not just something like "because I have commanded this"? I would need to look at some specific examples to see if the Hebrew actually demands a reference to some other commandment rather than a self-reference in the commandment. Perhaps this way we can get back to Hebrew rather than theology!

What I would dispute is the proposition
that this body goes back to the time of Moses.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org