b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 14:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 14:4
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 17:14:47 -0500

Karl Randolph wrote:

Harold:

My copy of BHS predates the integration of Qumran data to the aparatus. What is the variant reading?

HH: I believe that BHS has always had the Qumran readings, though it is possible I am wrong. Perhaps you have BHK rather than BHS. The variant reading is MRHBH. This is a significant variant because it is also found in Symmachus, Theodotion, the Syriac, and the Targum. It means "raging."

I would save up and buy the Biblica Hebraica Quinta (BHQ) when it comes out in full, since even BHS could not make full use of the Qumran findings because of its date of publication.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard