b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Isaiah 14:4 - Aramaic

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <tladatsi AT charter.net>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 14:4 - Aramaic
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 20:47:51 -0700

Hello Herman & List,

This question was asked - "The idea that it is an Aramaic insertion into the
Hebrew would, i.m.h.o., be incorrect. Why such an insertion and with what
purpose?"

I am certainly no Aramaic scholar but I do have an opinion as the what could
be the purpose of an Aramaic word. Some else already pointed out that it
could be a place name as the KJV does "the Golden City" on the assumption
that it is derived from the Aramaic word Dehab meaning gold (a cognate of
zahab it is believed).

However I think a look at the broader context is needed to perhaps get a
sense of why an Aramaic word might be inserted. Isaiah 13 predicts the
overthrow of Babylon. Isaiah 14 predicts that Yahweh will again favor Isreal
and Bablyon will become Israel's captive. When that happens Israel is to
taunt the King of Babylon. The taunt is "Eyk sabat neges sabat madehebah" or
"How rests the oppresor, how rests Madehebah". If this word is a Aramaic
synonym for the King of Bablyon, one known to Hebrew speakers, it makes
perfect sense to insert it. Perhaps it is overly familiar term, like calling
the Queen of England "Beth". Perhaps it is a highly honorific term (if it
does use the Aramaic root for gold, this would make sense), like "His
Majesty", which would be appropriately ironic now that he has been overthrown
and enslaved. To insult someone in their native language is generally
considered to be pretty clever (I might insult some French adventurer by
saying "First he dared but now he's merde"). This not much more than
speculation of course but the point is that there could a great many very
good reasons to include an Aramaic word when insulting the enslaved former
King of Bablyon.--
Jack Tladatsi

  • [b-hebrew] Isaiah 14:4 - Aramaic, tladatsi, 05/03/2006