b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 14:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 14:4
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 09:22:46 +0500

On 02/05/2006 05:10, Karl Randolph wrote:
Herman:

I'll agree with you that Aramaic is bad Hebrew LOL.

Seriously, Isaiah mentions that a rule (proverb) would be spoken of Babylon and then these five words are that proverb. Since Babylon was an Aramaic speaking place, and one of the words appeared to be Aramaic, I wondered if Isaiah wrote that proverb in Aramaic for effect.*

But Yigal tells me that the sentence structure is wrong for Aramaic, so I guess that settles that.

But perhaps if Isaiah knew only a little Aramaic he managed to put together a pseudo-Aramaic sentence with Aramaic words but Hebrew structure. I have seen sentences of this type on lists like this, from people whose English is not very good but they are able to choose correct English words. I'm not saying that this is the case with this verse as I have not looked at the passage in detail. But it is another possibility to be considered.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)