b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 15:12:06 -0500

These are all the examples that we have.

It is a greater logical fallacy to contradict the
examples we have without citing other examples to
back up our contradiction.

> of it being true, taken in this case from a limited corpus - even
> supposing it is true of every case in the corpus. Besides, this is
> poetic or semi-poetic language in which the meaning of words can
> always be stretched beyond their regular dictionary definitions.

Genesis 1 is prose, not poetic, not even semi-
poetic. It's as if God anticipated this argument
and made sure to write prose.

> Anyway, how about Zechariah 14:7, where the yom exad, is clearly
> the same yom as in v.6 and v.8 where the "day" embraces summer and
> winter and so is more than 24 hours long. And what about 2
> Chronicles 21:19, where yamim shenayim is often understood as "two
> years".
>
> -- Peter Kirk
> peter AT qaya.org (personal)
> peterkirk AT qaya.org (work)
> http://www.qaya.org/

Zechariah 14:7 does not contradict what I claimed
before. Remember, a 24 hour day is measured by the
fact that there is a night and a day, but here
there is no night to bring on the next day.

As for 2 Chronicles 21:19, two years is the number
that modifies days as it is normally read, a
reading that does not contradict what I earlier
claimed. Or another reading is that the final two
days of his illness Jehoram's guts spilled out in a
horrible death. The second reading is what I think
is the more accurate one.