b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yahoshua/Yehoshua

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Alexander Oldernes <alexander AT oldernes.no>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yahoshua/Yehoshua
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 09:35:42 +0200

It's pretty clear that Jesus' name was something like Yeshua or Yehoshua.

The website doesn't explain where the wovel "o" comes from.
The teophoric names indicate that the divine name is something like Yeho-,
and the contracted form Yah indicates a wovel "a", thus Yeho-a.

An attempt to twist it into "Yahoshua" without any clear evidence seems to me
as just another poor attempt to support Yahwe as the divine name. For me it
looks like some has 'decided' that the divine name must be Yahwe, and
therefore the teophoric names must be adjusted to fit this theory.

Alexander Oldernes
Norway
www.divinename.no