b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yahoshua/Yehoshua

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Baruj Diez <barujdiez AT yahoo.es>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yahoshua/Yehoshua
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 00:17:23 +0100

On 04/04/2006 23:58, Baruj Diez wrote:

(The so-called “Sacred Name” movement that
purports that the “true name” of the Messiah is
“YAHushua” or “YAHoshua” (or some variant
thereof) is founded on faulty linguistics and
esoteric doctrine. These people think that the
sacred Name (YHVH) is best rendered as YAHWEH,
and suppose that since Jesus said He came in His
Father’s Name (John 5:34), YAH must somehow
appear in the spelling of this name. ...

This is not entirely fallacious. I leave aside any question of pronunciation, which to me is secondary. But it seems very clear that Jesus' Hebrew name was יְהוֹשׁוּעַ Yehoshu(a)/Yahoshu(a), or possibly the contracted form of this name יֵשׁוּעַ Yeshua. And this name is recognised by all to be a compound of the divine name יהוה YHWH and a verb, with the final letter of the divine name, which is silent, dropped according to regular Hebrew rules. So the divine name does indeed appear in Jesus' name. Whether this is theologically significant I will leave to others.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)