b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fwd: Yahoshua/Yehosua

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Herman Meester" <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fwd: Yahoshua/Yehosua
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 09:36:20 +0200

Dear Peter,

I have only faint proof ;) I just thought that if we have "Yesous"
instead of "Yesouas", this would mean in that case there's no `ayin or
patach. I'll take a better look at your examples, though. However, I
do think that in Greek, the sound `ayin was expressed with /a/ (cf.
Βααλ, Vorlage: Ba`l, not Ba`al) or /e/ (Ωσηε); so the `ayin was
reinterpreted, i.e. "replaced" with a vowel. The furtive patach in
that sense does not exist, that it doesn't "precede" the `ayin (he or
chet) in words like Ruach or Shavua. It rather replaces the `ayin
(etc.) altogether. That's why the modern Hebrew word Ruach is rather
funny: it is a construct, not a historical reality. It is either Ruch
or Rua, historically. No problem of course, just one of those curiosa
that accur when people reanimate a written language into a spoken
language.

regards,
Herman Meester
Rotterdam