b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yahoshua/Yehosua

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "YODAN" <yodanco AT yodanco.com>
  • To: "'Herman Meester'" <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yahoshua/Yehosua
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 15:01:00 -0700

Hello Herman,

Thanks for the clarification. (I was already afraid that my name – Rivka –
wasn’t a real first name of a Jewess of ancient times! :-) )

With regards to the names of Jews in ancient times, I wouldn't be surprised
if there were several people with the same name (Yose, the example you gave)
so there was a need in distinguishing them by adding their father's name, or
their occupation, or their place of residence, etc. but this was not done
consistently.

Indeed, Ashekenazi Jews seem to like giving Hebrew name and it’s meaning in
Yiddish, especially to boys (girls sometimes ended up with Yiddish names
only and some today think these are to be used as their Hebrew names).
Another custom was to use the name and a symbol related to it when using the
names of Ya’akov’s sons: Yahudah Arieh (lion being the symbol of the Tribe
of Yehudah), Naftali Tzvi (for the gazelle that’s the symbol or Naftali),
Binyamin Ze’ev (like Herzl’s Hebrew name) because Benyamin’s tribal symbol
is a wulf, and sometimes they used one name in Hebrew and one in Yiddish
(Binyamin Wulf, etc.). Very interesting topic!

Kol tuv,

Rivka

Yodan Publishing

P.O. Box 60655