b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] hell

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] hell
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 19:28:31 +0000

On 18/03/2006 19:04, Herman Meester wrote:
It-is-sown (a) natural body,
QUESTION—What is meant by a σῶμα ψυχικόν 'natural body'?
It is a body that is animated by the ψυχή 'soul/life' as animal life [Ho],
and is adapted to the conditions of existence on earth [Ho, ICC].
It does not mean a body that is composed of ψυχή 'soul/life' [Gdt,
Herm, Ho, ICC].
It has reference to the natural world in contrast to the supernatural
[AB, TNTC].

That, I believe, isn't far away from my own interpretation.

Fair enough. But this is one opinion among others.
Furthermore, my own teacher (Joh. Tromp) of Hellenistic period Judaism
in Leiden has the same interpretation of Paul (I mean, there are a few
more "dissidents"). By the way, I think the number of people that have
a certain opinion does not necessarily have anything to do with
whether they are right or not. It may be so, but it is not an argument
for the validity of a certain opinion. If it was, it would end all
progress in scholarship.

Indeed. And he and you have a right to your view, and to argue for it by the usual academic channels. But those who put forward unusual minority opinions should accept that for the time being that is what they are, and not put them forward is if they were the uncontested truth of the matter, especially to audiences (such as on the b-hebrew list) where this is not their speciality. That is why I wanted to ensure that your minority view of this matter was balanced by a clear explanation of the majority scholarly view.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)