b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] hell

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] hell
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:30:51 -0000

Dear Peter,

I will not start a theological discussion in any form, only make a few observations. The Old Testament part of many (I think I am justified in saying "most") modern Bible translations is translated in the light of the New Testament. This is often misleading, because some OT expressions are given a Christian varnish, and even in expressions that have no Christian polish modern believers often project Christian beliefs into the text.

The Greek view (adopted by some Church Fathers) that a disembodied soul survives the death of the body and existes in an intermediate state, is completely foreign to the Tanakh, and the same is true regarding the belief in the resurrection of *the* body (the body in which a person died). The Tanakh explicitly says that we *are* souls and animals are souls, and when we, or an animal die, our soul dies. So if a book in the Tanakh implies a resurrection, it must be the soul (the person herself) that is resurrected. Interestingly, what is not left to $)WL according to Psalm 16:10 is NP$ (the soul). So, since the Hebrew $)WL is not "the land of no return" as is the case of the Babylonian netherworld, what returns according to the writer of this Psalm, Daniel and other books of the Tanakh is the soul (the very person). Thus, some books of the Tanakh teaches the resurrection of the soul.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Kirk" <peter AT qaya.org>