b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] translation v. interpretation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Herman Meester" <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] translation v. interpretation
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:50:38 +0100

I am very sorry, but I wasn't thinking of a Bible translation where
Messianic prophecies are laid into the texts more than necessary, I
thought it would be enough just to try to translate the MT into modern
Hebrew as it is.

I have nothing against trying to convert Jews to Christianity, but I
already thought a few suppositions on the referred website are wrong.
First, the Hebrew Bible is not Jewish, it is Israelite, and both what
we now know as Judaism and Christianity are largely post-biblical
phenomena. Simply because the Oral Torah was only accepted by most
people called Jews as authoritative *after* the period the Hebrew
Bible/the LXX turned into the "OT" because of Christianity producing
the "NT".

Judaism and Christianity share one and the same cradle. Jewish
Messianic expectations only revived in the Middle Ages, due to
Christian influence, and I wonder why exactly Jews should be brought
to Christ, why not first those Christians that have no idea what Jesus
is all about. After all, even the (politically speaking) most powerful
Christian in the world today, has no idea what Jesus really thinks of
his moral standards.

regards ושלום
Herman