b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Translation vs. Interpretation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <tladatsi AT charter.net>
  • To: tnaswg AT yahoo.com
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Translation vs. Interpretation
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:08:46 -0800

Hello,

There is an old saying *Translation is treason*. The less related two
languages are, the more that is true. Sometimes even the simplest
expressions are difficult to translate adequately. Having learn to embarass
my self in a few Indo-European languages, I thought I was prepared for
learning B-Hebrew. Although I would hardly call myself fluent, it is simply
amazing how little of the *feel* of the text comes through in English
translations.

-
Jack Tladatsi

  • [b-hebrew] Translation vs. Interpretation, tladatsi, 02/28/2006