b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] translation v. interpretation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tna Swg <tnaswg AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] translation v. interpretation
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:14:42 -0800 (PST)

Hebraista/e:

While this may not seem to be onlist, please bear with me. I recently was
lucky enough to get a copy of Louw and Nida's Greek-English Lexicon of the
New Testament: Based on Semantic Domains. I was reading at it random, what a
delight, and I remember someone, I remember not their names, said that
interpretation was not the same as translation.

While I consider that all interpretation is not translation with target and
source languages, where these two are different beyond what I understand
Diakonov’s level of dialect is, but all translation is interpretation. Is
this based in definitions? Interpretation is to make clear, to proclaim, if I
can be so silly, and translation, good translation, of course, doesn’t it or
isn’t it the hope to mean something clearly. Preferably what the intentio
auctoris was/is/shall be.

Just asking. I don’t know if this qualifies as onlist type of discussion.
If it doesn’t, mea culpa.

Regards,

Marc Bauer

Yahoo! Mail