b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] translation v. interpretation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Herman Meester" <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] translation v. interpretation
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 22:16:19 +0100

Dear members

I think the fact that a translation is never perfect, in the sense
that it never exactly represents the original, is the main reason why
people should bother learning to read another language at all. It is
impossible to define what [good] translation is, simply because it is
impossible to define what a language itself is.

For example, why is there no translation of the Hebrew Bible into
modern Hebrew? I think modern Hebrew is about the only language left
the Bible has not been translated to!
(But I may well have missed the latest developments in modern Hebrew
bible scholarship)
Fascinating, isn't it? And b-Hebrew and modern Hebrew most certainly
are two different languages.
BTW the New Testament has been translated into Modern Hebrew, of
course. It has even been translated into Biblical Hebrew (see Snaith's
MT).

Lately I was in a discussion regarding 2Baruch (=Apocalypse of Baruch
or Syriac Baruch).
A very interesting text. The one Syriac manuscript is a translation of
Greek (which is beyond doubt: the text says it itself). But there are
people who say the original of the Greek was a Hebrew text, so also
the Greek is a translation.
Has anyone been giving this any thoughts? If it has a Hebrew Vorlage,
it can be discussed here ;) This text is not studied a lot, unlike
similar texts such as 4Ezra.

Regards,
Herman