b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 04:35:18 -0500

Yitzhak:

see below

This is supposed to be grammatically singular. This
is written in a form where the singular is used to
refer to a plural subject. Another example is
Judges 7:22. Such usage is not unusual in Tanakh.

> Regardless, I think the plural is the best reading in the Siloam
> Inscription and causes no problems.
>
> There are many instances, later than Siloam, where the use of
> -h is clearly used for a singular. For example, "(bdh" in the Mesad
> Hashavyahu ostracon, where the sender is referring to himself as
> the servant of the receiver of the letter. From the verbs that follow
> it is clear that a singular person is writing the complaint (and it is
> not a complaint of several people), especially when compared to
> his brothers "hqcrm )ty" that "y(nw" for him.
>
> > There are plenty of
> > materes lectionis in that document, most notably
> > internal waws and yods, as well as final waws.
>
> I cited a specific case whereby both internal waw and
> internal yod was missing from the plural masculine
> present participle (= $om:rim). Note "hqcrm" also in
> the above cited ostracon. But see, my argument is that
> you miss the details. You try to pick up instances that
> seem to match, when they don't really, and if you were
> to look at the real picture you'd realize the difference.
> Yes, you don't have an inscriptions handbook to be able
> to start the examine the evidence as a whole, but then
> you chose not to get one. In this case, my argument is
> that while internal mater lectionis are found in pre-exilic
> documents, in the case of this particular noun form,
> they are absent whereas in the Biblical spelling one or
> both are usually present. That's a difference that needs
> to be explained by someone who claims there's practically
> no difference. It can't be answered simply because in
> some other noun form or word there is a mater lectionis.
> I never said there wasn't.

As for the materes lectionis, their use is very
often optional. There are a few words where their
use is de regueur, such as )LHYM, but otherwise a
"missing" mater lectionis is nothing special, not
worth noting. It is found more often than you
expect in Tanakh. If one reads the text with
Masoretic points, the Qere often masks "missing"
materes lectionis.

Your comments indicate that you are not familiar
with the text of the Tanakh.

You mentioned a specific ostracon. Do you have a
picture clear enough to read that you can share
with the group?