b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 12:00:39 -0500

Yitzhak:

I don't know who this Jim Davila is, and actually
it doesn't matter. There are two reasons I noticed
why his opinions shouldn't carry much weight.

1) he makes repeated references to proto-Semitic, a
language nowhere found in the archeological record,
to bolster his claims.

2) he makes claims for language change that are
contradicted by the archeological record. For
example, the use of a waw as an indicator for the
masculine singular possessive is attested to as
early as proto-Sinaitic, as well as an internal
yod as a mater lectionis.