b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 12:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 12:2
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 07:45:49 -0000

Dear Kevin,

It is true that the Greek word AIWN is used to translate the Hebrew word (LM. However, in the last centuries of B.C.E. the lexical meaning of (LM evolved and changed both in Hebrew and Aramaic. The Greek AIWN is closer to this later evolution than to the meaning of the word in the Tanakh. Therefore, the NWT renders AIWN differently from (LM. In Rev 20:10 the NWT renders AIWNOS TWN AIWNWN as "forever and ever". Again we find a non-biased rendering, so your suspicion of bias in connection with (LM and AIWN is unfounded.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin P. Edgecomb" <kevin AT bombaxo.com>