b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 12:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 12:2
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 12:29:44 -0700

On Sunday 05 February 2006 01:07, Rolf Furuli wrote:
> Dear Gene and Dave,
>
> See my comments below.

We've been over this ground many times. "Lexical meaning" may or may not
have
any bearing on usage, and in practice this approach comes very close to
Carson's "root fallacy." All we have to go on is usage, and usage
overwhelmingly favors the idea of "eternal" when it's used as an adjective,
as in this verse.

> 2) The principle of concordance, i.e., the use of one English word for each
> Hebrew word whenever possible.

As you already know, I do not agree with this principle. You're welcome to,
but it is hardly an established rule of linguistics or translation theory.

> 3) The principle that the readers should have a part in the translation
> process whenever possible.

Frankly, I find this more or less meaningless. What is meant by "a part"?
Does it mean, as you seem to suggest below, that a translation should be as
vague as possible so a reader can't really know what the translator (much
less the original author) had in mind? That seems like a disservice to the
reader, especially in a case like this one where the meaning seems quite
clear unless a translator has a theological predisposition against it.

> As for 1), there is no doubt that the reference of (LM in many instances is
> to unending time, but that is not true in all cases. Translators should
> differenciate between the lexical meaning of a word, which is the concept
> in the mind of native speakers that is signalled by the word, and its
> reference. The core of the concept signalled by the verb (LM is "hide,
> hidden," and the same may be the case with the noun. The time whose length
> is hidden may be rather short or it may be everlasting.

This is still the root fallacy. That "core concept," assuming there really
is
such a one, may or may not be present in any particular usage. It does not
have to be, and in fact there is no solid way to prove that "hidden" is
actually a "core concept" in the word at all. Context is all we really have
to go on, and in Dan 12:2 it's pretty clear.

> As for 2), the translators use the same words or similar words, e.g., "time
> indefinite" when the noun (LM is found. The advantage of this is that the
> readers can know when the same Hebrew word is used in differeent English
> passages.

Gene already pointed out a counter-example above. Does the description of
Jehovah as "indefinitely lasting" mean He could croak 5 minutes from now?
"Time indefinite" does not convey what the writer of Daniel 12 intended.
That's what translation should be doing.

> As for 3), the words "indifinitely lasting" and "time indefinite" are more
> ambiguous than "everlasting". The translating process begins when the
> author writes the words, and it ends when the reader grasps the message. By
> using an English term that both can be interpreted as everlasting and not
> everlasting, the final interpretation of the word is left to the individual
> reader.

See above. This kind of ambiguity is not a service to the reader, it is a
hindrance to communication. In both Daniel 12:2 and Genesis 23:33, "eternal"
or "everlasting" makes much more sense and appears to convey the mind of the
author. There is no good reason not to use it unless, as I said, there is
some kind of theological predilection against the idea.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur