b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 12:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 12:2
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 12:40:01 -0700

On Sunday 05 February 2006 09:51, Awohili AT aol.com wrote:
> When translators who believe God is eternal, as the NWT translators did,
> translate a verse to say what could be interpreted as otherwise, I fail to
> see any evidence of bias, theological or otherwise.

Perhaps. But as you mention below, they aren't on this list to tell us what
was going through their minds, so how do you know they "believe God is
eternal"? Still, if Rolf's post is any indication, Genesis 21:33 appears to
be a victim of a more or less slavish adherence to a less-than-adequate
translation theory.

[snip]
> I often wonder why this list is asked questions about the NWT translators,
> since, as far as I know, none of the NWT translators inhabit this list to
> give a response.

Does that mean that, if a translator isn't on this list or is no longer
available, we can't discuss his or her translation methodology any more? All
the translators of the KJV have passed on, so we can no longer discuss issues
or problems with that translation because they're not here to give a
response? Likewise for the English Revised Version or Luther's German
version? I'm afraid I don't follow the reasoning here.