b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew grammar, (was Zech 6:8)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew grammar, (was Zech 6:8)
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 08:56:43 -0000

Dear Herman,

I accept your challenge below.

What I would like you, well anyone I guess, to ask is: present us a
better, simpler, more elegant theory than this, or better even, why
don't you try to look at the BHebrew texts supposing the theory (as if
you actually believe it yourself), only to give it up when you really
find something that contradicts it.
That would be an interesting experiment of thought.
My opinion of science is, it has to provide the best and simplest
hypotheses to explain certain phenomena, for the time being, until an
even better one is given, so after testing that hypothesis, we may or
may not accept it.
There may never be actual *proof* for any theory concerning wayyiqtol.
However, *ALL other theories* I have seen so far are either unlikely,
need too many additional hypotheses, or are too far-fetched to be
taken seriously.

Here is in my view a simpler and better theory:

The prefix forms of classical Hebrew (WAYYIQTOL, WEYIQTOL, and YIQTOL) have the same semantic meaning, and the suffix forms (QATAL and WEQATAL) have the same semantic meaning, representing the imperfective and perfective aspect respectively (though "aspect" with a different nature than English aspect). The WE- and WAY- of the so-called consecutive forms are the conjunction WAW, and the gemination and patah of the WAY- prefix are caused by phonetic rules and the stress position. The reason why WAYYIQTOL so often has past reference is that it so often is used in narrative, and a narrative verb per definition must have past reference (not necessarily past tense).

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo