b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Fwd: Hebrew grammar, (was Zech 6:8)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Fwd: Hebrew grammar, (was Zech 6:8)
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 22:08:49 +0100

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
Date: 26-nov-2005 21:48
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew grammar, (was Zech 6:8)
To: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>

On Saturday 26 November 2005 13:02, you wrote:
> Dear Dave,
>
> Thanks for your interesting comments, some of which I have to pay good
> attention to because my understanding of certain aspect-related
> theories is not very deep.
> I am looking forward to your reaction to my article, which I'm sure
> you will appreciate as the "sketch" it really is, it hasn't got
> references to literature (I'm a lazy person ;) .
>
> If I understand you correctly, you referred to an article by Galia
> Hatav that didn't come to your attention yet? I just found it myself a
> few weeks ago, that's why I'm so enthusiastic about the subject now.
> It confirmed what I thought was some crazy aberration that was in my
> head only.
> If you want I can mail it to you (got the full text on pdf), it's
> Journal of Linguistics 2004, November, issue 40 (if I'm correct). Only
> available electronically I think.

I would appreciate it. I haven't seen that one. I was talking about her
monograph "The Semantics of Aspect and Modality: Evidence from English and
Biblical Hebrew" published in 1997.

> One short note about Muraoka: he "corrected" Joüon on the SVO thing,
> made it VSO, without saying of course that Joüon thought something
> else was going on. This makes it a weird book. I wonder how many
> people think the book is a translation rather than a revision. Muraoka
> sold me his book himself (at a nice discount) when I attended his
> classes, and who am I to criticise a reference grammar. However, I
> think Muraoka should either have written a work of his own, or just
> translate the book, but why wouldn't people not read a little French?
> Anyway, whoever wants to know what Joüon thought, he be reading only
> the French original.

I was never that impressed with Muraoka, and when I heard that he had
"revised" Jouon's grammar, I was afraid of things like this. Still, the
prepublication price thru Logos was too good to pass up, especially since if
one wants to write on the subject of Hebrew grammar, one has to refer to
it...

> I myself am not ready to go for SVO yet, but I'm open to any strong
> arguments.

Check out my article ;-)

--
Dave Washburn