b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew grammar, (was Zech 6:8)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew grammar, (was Zech 6:8)
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:02:19 +0100

Dear Dave,

Thanks for your interesting comments, some of which I have to pay good
attention to because my understanding of certain aspect-related
theories is not very deep.
I am looking forward to your reaction to my article, which I'm sure
you will appreciate as the "sketch" it really is, it hasn't got
references to literature (I'm a lazy person ;) .

If I understand you correctly, you referred to an article by Galia
Hatav that didn't come to your attention yet? I just found it myself a
few weeks ago, that's why I'm so enthusiastic about the subject now.
It confirmed what I thought was some crazy aberration that was in my
head only.
If you want I can mail it to you (got the full text on pdf), it's
Journal of Linguistics 2004, November, issue 40 (if I'm correct). Only
available electronically I think.

One short note about Muraoka: he "corrected" Joüon on the SVO thing,
made it VSO, without saying of course that Joüon thought something
else was going on. This makes it a weird book. I wonder how many
people think the book is a translation rather than a revision. Muraoka
sold me his book himself (at a nice discount) when I attended his
classes, and who am I to criticise a reference grammar. However, I
think Muraoka should either have written a work of his own, or just
translate the book, but why wouldn't people not read a little French?
Anyway, whoever wants to know what Joüon thought, he be reading only
the French original.
I myself am not ready to go for SVO yet, but I'm open to any strong arguments.

Regards,
Herman