b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew grammar, (was Zech 6:8)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew grammar, (was Zech 6:8)
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 07:35:17 +1000

Hi Rolf,

Sorry that I seemed to sidestep your question regarding vowels; that was
not my intention. Since I'm low on time, I thought it was best just to
refer to stuff in print as it's all there said better than I can do in a
short post.

Anyway, the debate centres around whether Tiberian Hebrew represents a
five or seven quality system. Churchyard in his dissertation defends the
five vowels, but Khan, Blau (not his grammar though, but I'd have to
double-check), Revell, Garr, etc argue for a seven quality system.

The difference between having five vowels or seven is the place of
pathah, qamets, tsere, and segol. Traditionally, at least since Kimhi I
think, the contrast has been seen to be one of phonemic length - thus a
five vowel system.

Khan is very interesting to read as he incorporates evidence regarding
Tiberian pronuciation from the early manuscripts displaying Hebrew and
Arabic orthography (in which length is can be marked not only by vowels).

I hope this is enough.

Gotta go, but a couple more comments below.

Dear David,
Please see below.