b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NIV v' NWT translation policy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NIV v' NWT translation policy
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:19:09 +0000

On 17/11/2005 18:46, Read, James C wrote:

When I say that I agree with the NWT policy of consistency I mean that I agree
that a particular concept should be translated consistently otherwise the
translator could rightly come under the accusation of forcing his own
interpretation on the poor readers who often remain in ignorance of the
decisions which have been taken for them.

I agree with this, and I am sure that every reputable translator would do so. When the meaning of the original text is the same in two places, the translation should generally be the same - although some stylistic leeway should be allowed. The problem arises when consistent translation is enforced where the original language meaning varies.

Where I disagree with the NWT is that those core concepts, according to my
experience, cannot be mapped onto our current definition of a 'word'. ...

In conclusion,
a) I agree that consistency is a requirement
b) I do not agree that the unit of consistency should be the arbitrary division
we currently ascribe to 'words'

I totally agree with you, with the consistency requirement understood as avove.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)