b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NIV v' NWT translation policy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Awohili AT aol.com
  • To: K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NIV v' NWT translation policy
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:12:27 EST

Sounds like an awesome project. I would love to see the finished product.

Best wishes,

Solomon Landers

In a message dated 11/16/2005 3:32:54 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk writes:

Putting all our pre-indoctrinated ideas aside and having considered
the merits of both the NIV and the NWT translations, could it be
that a 'good' translation would be a balance of the two?

That is to say that we take the NWT's approach of consistent translation
and combine that with the NIV's 'make a natural language' approach.
I believe it is quite possible to combine both of these goals and
to produce a superior translation which both preserves the reader's right
to be able to read and interpret Yah's words, with the help of his spirit,
and makes use of faithful natural language constructions only.